It is currently 2018 09 19, 06:18

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Lithuanian CD ROMs
PostPosted: 2007 01 02, 18:32 

Greetings everyone,

My name is Trevor and I am living in Canada. My grandparents were Lithuanian on my dad's side and I have always taken an interest in my Lithuanian background.

I wanted to ask everyone here if they have had any success with a CD ROM program to learn Lithuanian. There are quite a few on Amazon.com. I think this website is great, and certainly a starting point, but with the structure and guidance of some CD ROM lessons I think it could go a long way. What are your thoughts? Any recommendations?

Last edited by SLY FOX on 2007 10 09, 05:37, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 01 02, 18:44 
Site Admin

Labas, Trevorai,

I don't really know any Lithuanian CD-ROM lessons, as I'm a teacher, not a learner. I guess somebody here should know something :).

Just curious, how do you say 'rotten kid' in Lithuanian? :lol:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 01 02, 19:15 

Well, the only lessons I've tried are the Pimsleur's. Unfortunately there are only compact lessons for lithuanian, with just 10 30minutes tapes. Personaly I didn't like them much, I just did up to the 3º, but of course they give you a nice first look at how the language sounds. What you must remember is that by learning from those tapes, you'll learn formal lithuanian. I myself would recommend you to stick around this website because it is the best resource you'll be able to find on the internet.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 01 04, 20:31 

I don't know if rotten kid is actually the authentic translation but anyways it was like this...nevermind the spelling either, I'm sure it is incorrect:

natikas vaikasist gousa louped

Ring a bell with anyone?

Trevor

Another question, how would my name be translated? You spelled Trevorai? How would the pronounciation go?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 01 04, 21:36 
Site Admin

:lol:

Netikęs vaikas gaus lupti. A bad child will get beaten.

Or it could be with vocative case:

Netikęs vaike, gausi lupti. Bad child, you'll get beaten.

As for the names, we like to adapt them into Lithuanian, because English written names are far not pronounced the way they are written. So Trevoras sounds just like your name in English, but with an as ending. And the r's are rolled.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 02 26, 14:46 

I found the Pimsleur to be an absolutely excellent foundation for becoming familiar with the sounds of the language. I was very unhappy that there was no continuation available after the introductory 10-lesson pack.

For best results you must use the Pimsleur according to the instructions. Do not take notes, do not use a dictionary or any other resource, don't worry about spelling or grammar. Just listen. Ideally, switch off the lights, turn up the volume, play the lesson and follow the instructions. It's cleverly done so as to implant the vocabulary items in your brain by repeating at strategic intervals, and you will find you really do remember them. When you've finished the course, you'll find yourself wanting more!

I also used Po Truputį, books and CD-ROM. It is by far the best learning resource available, but it is all in Lithuanian, so you can only use it if you have a teacher and a good dictionary. Note: Cheap Lithuanian-English dictionaries are not good, good dictionaries are not cheap! If you decide you're serious about learning, the investment in a good dictionary that shows stress and verb forms will really pay off.

By the time you reach lesson 8 or so, you will be able to use the book and CD without a teacher, and it is very good indeed, although the CD has a lot of mistakes.

I've seen and used the other learning resources as well, so I can comment if anyone is interested.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 02 27, 17:17 

I am not familiar with PimSleur, but i do have the "Colloquial Lithuanian" book & CD's which seem to provide a pretty good hands-on way to learn.
Currently i am following lessons and using an all-lithuanian book + cd: Nė Dienos be Lietuvių Kalbos, which is not at all easy without some kind of reference, a teacher and a good dictionary.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 02 27, 18:35 

I also use Nė dienos be lietuvių kalbos.

And I have to admit, it's challenging.
Some methodological problems.
It gives you a huge vocabulary, but it doesn't provide enough exercises so that the words would stick... Plus, once you learn all the vocabulary, it's likely you'll forget it soon, since the words don't really come up in later chapters. (Probably, it's because the chapters discuss different topics, still...)
You have to work through the book twice... At least... I think... If you really want to succeed.

It explains grammar, but again, not enough exercises.

Any other suggestions?

Kiti vadovėliai?

Tomi.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 02 27, 19:10 

I'd rather not use any books with lessons at all.

First of all, because those which are bilingual are English-Lithuanian, and as I'm not a native english speaker I believe it won't be good to relate words in Lithuanian to word concepts in English. Plus, the way of speaking is much more similar to Spanish (my native tongue) than it is to English.

Second, if I were to use a book, I'd choose that lithuanian grammar which I can't remember the name right now.

Third, as for bilingual dictionaries, I've found that Dictionary.com does a great job when translating from English to Lithuanian, because it shows an specific word, it's meaning in English, and how it is said in about 20 other languages, between them, Lithuanian. As fot the second and third main forms and the stressing paradigms you can use autoinfa.lt. And for Lithuanian to English translation... well I haven't found anything that is like WOW, but I use KZod(desktop dict) and lietuviu-anglu.com

Last but not least, if I you want lessons you can always use Laimis' Daug po nedaug, which, even though it is not complete yet, in my opinion is quite straightforward.

Don't forget that you can check with a little of googling if there are any Lithuanian comunities near your place, which will surely have language courses probably for free.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 02 28, 02:32 

hmmm.... i suppose the Netherlands are not the average country then - the Dutch Lithuanian community is not really very active nor is it very accessible... and i have found only one teacher of Lithuanian (which basically is enough, but still... she could have been on the other side of hte country)

As for the bilingual books - i have to agree... if English is not your native language - it's not the best possible way to learn Lithuanian that way. On the other hand -and again referring to Dutch- some languages simply don't have Lithuanian language books or dictionaries (Kzod does however have a small Dutch section) I am using both bilingual books (English/Lithuanian and German/Lithuanian) as well as books in just Lithuanian language....

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 02 28, 15:09 

Hmmm...

Nė dienos be lietuvių kalbos is all Lithuanian.
Aside from the introduction, it doesn't contain a single word in English.
Which is even more challenging...

If you don't have a mokytojas arba dėstytojas at hand (which I'm fortunate enough to have;)) to explain everything to you in Lithuanian at your level, well, all you can rely on is the English-Lithuanian dictionaries, for example, on the Internet.

Last edited by sytombi on 2007 02 28, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 02 28, 16:58 

I consider myself lucky enough to have one of those as well... but as far as I can tell she's the only one teaching Lithuanian in the Netherlands....

Of course there is always the kind help of the people here at Debesėlis ;)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 07 02, 02:00 

Hmm it's not a CD-Rom package, but I find Linguata Lithuanian to be quite good. It has a lot of differant excercises and games for learning vocabulary, though it's probably only good at a basic level (I'm just beginning). You can download a demo to use, to see if you like it, before you buy it.

I think it's helping me so far, anyway ^.^

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 12 27, 23:27 

Teach Yourself package is also seems to be good, at least, it includes examples, cd, and exercises to complete and continues with a good grammar knowledge

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2009 01 14, 20:19 

I've got the Euro talk learn lithuanian CD rom and it's quite good to learn everything on the CD but the problem is it's lacking in quantity and I hoped there would be much more to learn on it. It promises to get you speaking good lithuanian in a short time but you'll only speak some things and not know how to say many other things. I'm always a bit critical of CD rom learning.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2009 05 27, 23:57 

I've got some CD-ROMs and audio CD's (including the abovementioned). Please PM me and we'll see what we can do.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Lithuanian CD ROMs
PostPosted: 2017 11 01, 13:50 

These might help :-

http://whaley.org.uk/andrew/blog/2017/1 ... ithuanian/

I also started with Pimsleur Lithuanian which was great as far as it went but that was way too little. So I took the 50 Languages vocab lessons and processed them in a Pimsleur style to create 100 new lessons to build vocabulary.

Hope it's useful.

Offline Profile