It is currently 2019 06 18, 16:11

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Past tense, (present/past)? tense.
PostPosted: 2010 05 31, 07:16 

Let me explain my question. Sometimes when we in Swedish would say a two-part sentence that is in past tense, both parts would be in past tense. My little knowledge in English says that that is true in English also.

But in Lithaunian I have seen that (sometimes?) the first part is in past tense and then after that the second part is in present tense. I don't know if this example is accurate, but something like this.

He knew it was the truth
Jis žinojo, kad tai yra tiesa

Maybe this is not correct, but maybe you understand my question. When a sentence in past tense has two parts, and the first part is in past tense, what is the second part, then? Maybe there are some grammar rules somewhere about this... Anyone?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2010 06 01, 18:19 
Site Admin

You are very correct, we have the present tense for a past action in such sentences. Let's see some more precise examples, since your example 'yra tiesa' may be both a past action and a present action.

Jis žinojo, kad aš kerpuosi plaukus (esu pas kirpėją). speaking of a present action at that moment
Jis žinojo, kad aš kirpausi plaukus (nusikirpau plaukus, buvau pas kirpėją). speaking of a past action at that moment

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2010 06 09, 06:21 

Thanks for your reply.

That sounds so wrong if I would translate those sentences to Swedish. We can't say it like that.

Just another example how important it is to try to think in the language you want to speak, because if you think in another language and then translate to Lithuanian, sometimes it will sound really funny. :)

Thank you again.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Using the future to express the past
PostPosted: 2010 06 10, 07:44 

Klimas in Lituanus:http://www.lituanus.org/1996/96_2_07.htm
(1) Mes ėjome per mišką, ir kad užrėks pelėda, mes net išsigandome.
"We were walking through the forest, and all of a sudden the owl screeched, we even got scared."

N.B. užrėks is formally a future tense and literally it means "will screech", but here the meaning is past.

(2) Lijo ramus lietus, bet staiga kad trenks perkūnas...
"It was raining quietly, but suddenly the thunder struck..."

N.B. trenks is formally a future tense and literally it means "will strike", but the real meaning is past.

(3) Mes ėjome šaligatviu, ir jis man kad spirs į koją.
"We were walking on the sidewalk and he just kicked me in the leg."

N.B. spirs literally means "will kick", but the real meaning is "kicked".

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2010 11 22, 18:38 

OK. Just some more examples. We talked about some "He knew that..." sentences. But is it the same with all kind of sentences, like...

I visited (past) the place, where my brother lived (past).
aplankiau (past) vietą, kur gyvena (present) mano brolis.

So, what I want to say is that when I visited the place, my brother still lived there, but he is not living there anymore. So is the Lithuanian sentence right?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2010 11 22, 23:55 

toto1919 wrote:
So, what I want to say is that when I visited the place, my brother still lived there, but he is not living there anymore. So is the Lithuanian sentence right?

You have to say: Aš aplankiau vietą, kur tuomet gyveno mano brolis.
Since the only contextual past reference is the past used in the main sentence, it is understood that by tuomet you mean the time of your visit. It's not explicitly said that he no longer lives there, but it's suposed due to the addition of tuomet.

If you had a bigger context, the reference might be fuzzy and you might need to actually say somewhat differently, not just in one sentence, not with as few words.

I'll give you other possible examples:

Aplankiau vietą, kur gyveno mano brolis. I visited the place, where my brother lived, but he doesn't live there anymore and he could and could've not lived there the time of my visit.

Aplankiau vietą, kur gyvena mano brolis. I visited the place, where my brother lives now. He could or could've not lived there the time of my visit. For example you could've visited the place before he moved in.

Aplankiau vietą, kur šiuomet gyvena mano brolis. I visited the place, where my brother lives now. It's not explicitly said that he didn't live there the time of my visit, but it's suposed due to the addition of šiuomet. I believe it would be even more emphazised if you added "seniai" at the begining: Seniai aplankiau vietą, kur šiuomet gyvena mano brolis.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2010 11 23, 08:59 

Yeah, that sounds more "Swedish" :)

So when does the strange "past, present" thing appear? Only in "He knew that..." sentences? What is the rule?

I think I need more examples to understand this more fully. Thankful for your patience.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2010 11 23, 14:15 

toto1919 wrote:
So when does the strange "past, present" thing appear? Only in "He knew that..." sentences? What is the rule?
I don't see a difference between the examples Pigmalijonas gave with to know and those I gave with to visit. What is this past, present thing you can't find?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2010 11 23, 17:10 

As I understood this (correct me if I'm wrong).

Jis žinojo, kad aš kerpuosi plaukus

means that he knew, that I (at that moment) was cutting my hair. But in English you say "was cutting", not "am cutting". So in English the second part of the sentence is in past tense. But in Lithuanian you say "kerpuosi", so present tense.

So the tense in English and Lithuanian differs in the last part of the sentence, correct? Therefore my next question. Is that true with all sentences? Obviously not, since my second attempt crashed and burned. :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2010 11 23, 21:26 

This question seems more likely to be answered in an english rather than a lithuanian forum. I believe it's more important you can understand the meaning and at the most be able to say it in finnish, but I don't see a reason why you should put that much effort in trying to get a rule that holds for every sentence. In case you really want that translation it is much more adviced to understand what is being said in the source language and then find a way to say it in the target language, thus my encouraging to ask in an english language forum what is the proper way to construct this kind of sentences, for I can only tell what sounds right to me, which might or might not be grammatically correct. I think you could ask at www.wordreference.com Of course, you can share here whatever answer you get there and we could try and make a comparison, even if I find it unnecesary.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2010 11 24, 07:49 

Thanks for your time and effort

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2010 11 24, 07:54 

Oops sorry, I meant swedish not finnish. And please, don't take me wrong, I just don't have the knowledge to help you. If I did, I would. :)

Offline Profile