It is currently 2019 10 21, 13:23

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: The Plague
PostPosted: 2008 01 07, 05:26 

Foreboding title isn't it? I was watching a TV program on the History Chanel, entitled "The Plauge". It dealt with the history of the bubonic plague and its effect on humanity. The reason I bring it up though, is because the program mentioned a specific group of people know as the "flagulents". The flagulents were a group of masochistic people who attempted to rid themselves of the plague by beating themselves with whips and scourges. I didn't find any of this to be that interesting, until I heard the flagulents speak. As they were walking through a small rural town in Germany the "leader" of the flagulents said, "Greciau! Greciau!". I was surprised to say the least! As the program continued, every subsequent appearance of the flagulents was complimented by dialog in Lithuanian. Now, i'm not exactly sure why they were speaking Lithuanian, as the flagulents were said to be from Germany and Lithuania was never mentioned in the program. Perhaps they were just Lithuanian actors playing the part of Germans. But, since there were many German actors used in the program, I don't understand why they wouldn't have used German actors in this case as well. I briefly looked up "flagulents" and "lithuanians" on google, and didn't find many hits. So its a bit of a mystery... one which I figured I'd share with all of you.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2008 01 07, 10:18 

An entry on "black death" in Wikipedia mentions that the menace had not affected Lithuania. It explores more on causes and geographic scope.
This may hint at the scientific reason of singling out Lithuania.
I can look up the URL if you won't find the entry; it's somewhere on en.wikipedia.org.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: The Plague
PostPosted: 2008 01 07, 14:29 

vaicaitis wrote:
I briefly looked up "flagulents" and "lithuanians" on google, and didn't find many hits.

I found several promising hits with the search string "flagellant Lithuania". The first hit refers to the program you watched!

Here's a wikipedia article about flagellants: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagellant
It discusses an outbreak of flagellation at the time of the Black Death in 1349:
Quote:
Spontaneously Flagellant groups arose across northern and central Europe in 1349, except in England

But no specific mention of Lithuania.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2008 01 07, 16:07 

Maybe they used lithuanian because it sounded like an unintelligible language. Nah, that can't be the reason... probably similarity to the language those tribes spoke...

Edit:
From this link ( http://boards.historychannel.com/thread ... 5728475788 ):
Quote:
I just watched show "The Plague" on History Channel and was very disappointed. As a part of the show they had a group Lithuanian flagellants roaming Europe in 1348 AD, recreating the sufferings of Christ, whipping themselves, storming churches and praying to God to forgive their sins in lithuanian.

That is as true as a bunch of polar bears taking a row bout to moon! :) The Grand Duke of Lithuania did not even get christened until 1386 AD and even despite that Grand Duchy of Lithuania stayed mainly pagan until late 15th century.

While I understand that countries like Lithuania are attractive places to film the shows, since they have a lot of ancient architecture still intact, but the makers should not deviate from historical facts. After seeing such "shortcuts" that "History Channel" takes, how can anyone take anything shown here as a true fact. The least they could do is hire a historian to review the show before they "feed" it to the public.

That makes sense.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2008 01 07, 20:00 

ahh, i suppose spelling the word correctly would have helped remedy some of my confusion :oops:

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: The Plague
PostPosted: 2019 07 19, 13:45 

Wikipedia is one of the major sites of the world for the information. The theories of all studies and essay one day review have been found on this site. The importance of the Wikipedia is stated and mentioned everywhere. All the issues have been marked for the performances of the managers of the site.

Offline Profile