It is currently 2018 10 20, 07:29

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Taip, Ir, O, Bet
PostPosted: 2010 12 16, 00:02 

Labuka
I am very new to lithuanian, and my enter key has just broken it seems, so this is gonna be a big paragraph, atleisk. I have a lot of trouble with Taip, Bet, Ir and O and various other things like, tok, toks, taip pat, taip pats etc. They seem to change their meaning in different circumstances, and unfortunatly, my books are inadequate. Could someone maybe explain an outline, or something that will help me with this. I know the literal translation of them, but then i see it being used, and it doesnt make sense, when literally translated. I have learnt to stop doing this, and to think in lithuanian, but still... I need help. Aciu

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2010 12 21, 02:01 

That's quite a huge topic to cover on a single reply and since I'm not sure what you really need, the answer could end up being a waste of time and effort. I suggest you post some sentences containing those words used in ways that trouble you so at least there is an starting point.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Taip, Ir, O, Bet
PostPosted: 2011 02 28, 05:42 

kaltgoulash wrote:
Labuka
I am very new to lithuanian, and my enter key has just broken it seems, so this is gonna be a big paragraph, atleisk. I have a lot of trouble with Taip, Bet, Ir and O and various other things like, tok, toks, taip pat, taip pats etc. They seem to change their meaning in different circumstances, and unfortunatly, my books are inadequate. Could someone maybe explain an outline, or something that will help me with this. I know the literal translation of them, but then i see it being used, and it doesnt make sense, when literally translated. I have learnt to stop doing this, and to think in lithuanian, but still... I need help. Aciu

I just bought a copy of the Anglonas dictionary for my iPod and given the expressions therein, I'll try to help you a bit. Maybe someone will give some additional information...

taip pat (o pats) is an adverbial expression with a meaning of similarly, like, same as
taip means "so" and is a weak positive [used as "yes"] though sometimes you'll see other words meaning affirmative or truly instead for a yes
bet and o are conjunctions that express contrast with bet being stronger and expressing that the facts it introduces may be unexpected given the preceding facts.
ir is a conjunction that always means the facts both before it and after it are joined together, it is similar to the Latin "et".
toks (col. tok) is a pronoun meaning "such (a)..." sometimes used as a conjunction or adverb with similar meanings
Beginner's Lithuanian (Klimas et al) has chapter on some of this...

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Taip, Ir, O, Bet
PostPosted: 2011 07 04, 08:27 

Kaitgoulash,

As manau kad as galiu padeti tau...

taip-- yes
ir-- and (conjunction)
o-- or; 0! (interjection/sauksmininkas)
bet-- but

this is how they are most often used conversationally

Offline Profile