It is currently 2019 12 07, 08:06

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: gender in Lithuanian grammar
PostPosted: 2009 02 07, 01:26 

Will someone please translate the two sample sentences?

It would be too much to write a full explanation what I want to learn by this question. I think I can get the answer needed if someone will just translate the sample sentences for me to study on my own and I will ask questions if still don't understand.

How would these two sentences differ in Lithuanian:

#1 Good doctors (male and female) should allow their young and old patients (male and female) the dignity to undress in privacy before examination.

#2 Good doctors (meaning males only) should allow their young and old patients (meaning females only) the dignity to undress in privacy before examination.

Please don't add the words "male" or "female" into the sentences. I just want to see how the gender would be identified/clarified in the context of the Lithuanian grammar.

Sorry, I know this is NOT and English forum, but English does not have gender and this concept is still difficult for me.

/Snowbird

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2009 02 07, 01:57 

I'm not gonna translate. I'm just gonna write what I think you want to know.

Male and female (even if it is 10 women and a man): masculine plural (though in that case you can say comparable to ladies and gentlemAn)
Many females: feminine plural
Many males: masculine plural

But what do I know, I'm just an argentinian. (this could become a signature)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2009 02 07, 02:11 

Gee whiz dude!! C'mon!! Just translate it!! Please?? I know you can do it!!

Your reply did not completely answer my question.

If both the "doctor" in sentence one (because it applies to both sexes) and the "doctor" in sentence two (because it is definitely male) are both written as "gydotojai" (masculine plural), then how does the context tell the reader what is meant? Sorry to make this an English forum. But trying to understand how the Lithuanian grammar works.

In English we would NEED to clarify. One of many ways would be to write it this way:

#1 All good doctors (meaning male and female) should allow their young and old, male and female patients the dignity to undress in privacy before examination.

#2 Good, male doctors should allow their young and old, female patients the dignity to undress in privacy before examination.

/Snowbird

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2009 02 07, 02:18 

I have no idea. I'd just use a subordinate sentence:

All doctors, who are men,
All doctors, either men or women,
or something of the sort.

Since I'm not sure I won't give you an example in lithuanian not to misslead you.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2009 02 07, 02:37 

Ok, thanks anyway, ascii for helping and trying.

I just know that English does not have gender. An entire text can be written without clarifying the gender. Adjectives aren't changed based on gender. But of course, you know that.

Someone said Lithuanian is the same as English in that the gender would be understood based on context. But if in both those example sentences the doctor is written as "gydotojai" then how would the Lithuanian reader understand it? And how would you write it to be sure it was understood as you meant it?

Maybe someone else will reply with the translation and an exlanation. Thanks again,ascii.

Just can't get used to a language that the grammar is so much based on gender.

By the way, have you heard this joke?

What do you call someone who speaks three languages?

Tri-lingual
(as our Finnish, Swedish, and Argentinian forum members are :roll: )

What do you call someone who speaks two languages?

Bi-lingual

What do you call someone who speaks only one language?

An AMERICAN!!! :lol:

So adding to the contagious signature:

What do I know----I'm just an American! 8)

/Snowbird

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2009 02 07, 08:29 

I found something that might suite on the internet.

Maybe you can write something like this. This was a post in a health forum (or something)

Girdėjau, kad gydytojai vyrai yra geri, ar tiesa?
I have heard, that male doctors are good, is it true?

Visi gydytojai (ir gydytojai vyrai) geri.
All doctors (including male doctors) are good.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2009 02 07, 12:46 

I thought about that. You can do it in spanish too. But I just don't like the way it sounds.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2009 02 07, 13:13 

Although your questions are answered, I thought I'll give a shot at translating the sentences for the fun of it. Then everyone else can have the fun of tearing them apart.

#1 Good doctors (male and female) should allow their young and old patients (male and female) the dignity to undress in privacy before examination.
#1 Geri gydytojai turėtų gerbti, jaunų ir senų, jų pacientų orumą ir leisti jiems nusirengti vienam prieš tyrimą.

#2 Good doctors (meaning males only) should allow their young and old patients (meaning females only) the dignity to undress in privacy before examination.
#2 Geri gydytojai turėtų gerbti, jaunų ir senų, jų pacienčių orumą ir leisti joms nusirengti vienai prieš tyrimą.

So if translated this poorly there is little difference whether females or males are in question because the plural genitive cases do not differ much. But I have no idea if that is even correct... But someone will correct me. I feel there are mistakes with the singular and plural cases of some words, but I don't know.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2009 02 07, 17:06 

Thanks for all your help everyone. And thanks LitFi for translating the sentences. They provided a big help to see the learning point intended.

It seems then a listener or reader would not distinguish by the grammar what gender the doctors are even though the grammar is based on gender. If it is important to distinguish, then you would need to clarify it somehow the same as in English. That helps.

ascii wrote:
But what do I know, I'm just an argentinian. (this could become a signature)

Good joke ascii!! :lol: Don't get angry, because this is just a joke. And great fun for me once in the universe to correct you :) (even if it is English and not Lithuanian)!!

But just for fun, as long as we are all joking about how humble we are and ignorant, here is something you should know about Americans and English.

You should understand the English thinking that created our grammar structure. You see we are not a humble people like other countries, as you Argentinians and Finnish and Swedish. No.

In English we capitalize all our personal pronouns related to "I" (even if in middle of sentence) AND nationalities. So you see, it is a language sort of based on haughty pride, self-centeredness, and national pride. (Hope no other Americans will be offended with this joke---but the grammar structure to English really is a bit unique.)

So your signature line may be perfectly correct, if humbly written in Spanish or Swedish or Finnish or even Russian and a ton of other humble languages spoken by humble people. But to be correct in English you must capitalilze "Argentinian". :lol: 8)

/Snowbird

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2009 02 07, 17:15 

I will make more simple and more clear translation if you don't mind.

#1 Geri gydytojai turėtų gerbti jaunų ir senų pacientų orumą leidžiant jiems, prieš atliekant tyrimus, nusirengti vieniems.
Or...
Geri gydytojai turėtų gerbti (savo) pacientų orumą ir prieš atliekant tyrimus leisti (leidžiant) nusirengti vieniems.

#2 Geri gydytojai turėtų gerbti pacienčių orumą ir leisti joms vienoms nusirengti prieš tyrimą.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2009 02 07, 19:11 

I don't mind. Does someone else mind? But I'm happy for the vieniems correction. This was something I thought about and didn't really know how to write.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: gender in Lithuanian grammar
PostPosted: 2019 07 16, 08:39 

Grammar is the terminology in the language in which the care is happened about the idea and the proper way of claiming the situation. The online English learning has the clear idea of best resume service with the making or persistent biology.

Offline Profile