It is currently 2019 12 09, 22:42

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: possesive pronouns and genetive case
PostPosted: 2009 01 07, 05:58 

Help. Why can't I understand this? :? It looks like it should be simple. Maybe it is. :oops:

At the link below you will find the following example sentences. Why does it appear the two sentences are exactly the same but one sentence puts things in genitive where the other sentence put it in nominative?

http://www.debeselis.net/lesson32.php

Sentence example 1
Labas, mano vardas Laimis, mano tėvas vardu Vytautas.
(Hello, my name is Laimis, my father's name is Vytautas.)

(Why is "tėvas" nominative and not "tėvo" genitive as "dukros" is in the second example sentence below? Why is the second "vardu" in the first sentence genitive instead of nominative as it is in both places in the second example sentence?)

Sentence example 2
Jūsų sūnaus vardas Darius, jūsų dukros vardas Dalia.
(Your son's name is Darius, your daughter's name is Dalia.)

Forgive me if this is such a stupid question. :oops: :oops: It just seems to make more sense (f I think in English----which is probably the problem) that the "tėvas" should also be genitive in the first sentence. And in the second sentence, if "vardas" were also genitive.

Thanks in advance for your simple answers. I don't need a "mars version"!!

/Snowbird

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2009 01 07, 06:42 

Ok, simple answer. Vardu is not the genitive, it's the instrumental and the translation would be "to be named" or "to go by the name of". You need two nominatives.

Some additional information: To say on behalf of you say [noun in genitive] vardu.
Example:
Tėvo vardu...

Offline Profile  

Post subject: possesive pronouns
PostPosted: 2009 01 07, 09:26 

Hey dude! Thanks for the simple reply! Yippee!! I get it!

:oops: :oops: :oops: Oops! :oops: Missed that little detail of "vardu" being instrumental instead of genitive. :( It never even occurred to me the possibility it would be in instrumental! :shock: But now I see it clearly!

So both sentences are two different ways of saying the same thing. In one sentence you either change the "vardas" to instrumental and keep the other word in nominative OR you keep "vardas" in nominative and you change the other word into genitive!

Thanks so much!

/Snowbird

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: possesive pronouns and genetive case
PostPosted: 2019 08 22, 07:50 

Possessive the all pronouns and the all genitive cases that have all formats on this it was able to make all of these. I have to make all of perspectives that have bestdissertation reviews this was good for preparing the reports that was assigned by the professors.

Offline Profile